About Children's Medical Center
One of the largest pediatric health care providers in the nation
Children's Medical Center is private, not-for-profit, and is the fifth-largest pediatric health care provider in the nation. As the only academic health care facility in North Texas dedicated exclusively to the comprehensive care of children from birth to age 18, Children's provides patient care ranging from simple eye exams to specialized treatment in areas such as heart disease, hematology-oncology and cystic fibrosis.
In addition, Children's is a major pediatric kidney, liver, intestine, heart and bone marrow transplant center. As the primary pediatric teaching facility for The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, the medical staff at Children's conducts research that is instrumental in developing treatments, therapies and greater understanding of pediatric diseases.
The Children's system is licensed for 595 beds and has more than 50 subspecialty programs spanning two campuses – the main hospital in Dallas and a second full-service hospital in Plano. Combined, the two facilities serve children through more than 677,000 patient encounters annually. Children’s was the first pediatric hospital in Dallas designated as a Level I Trauma Center.
Children's enjoys a stellar reputation as one of the finest pediatric facilities in the United States. Children's is accredited by the Joint Commission, and is a Magnet designated facility, the highest national recognition granted to a hospital or medical center for nursing excellence. In addition, U.S. News & World Report has named Children's as one of the nation's top pediatric providers.
Children's is a referral hospital, meaning all patients come to the hospital through a referral from their own physician. Detailed information about the referral process is available in the Healthcare Professionals area of this website. Click for information on how to contact Children's.
Children's trces its origins to the spring of 1913 when a group of nurses, led by public health nurse May Forster Smith, organized an open-air clinic on the lawn of the old Parkland Hospital. The nurses recognized that children received better care when it was focused only on them.
After a few years, the Dallas Baby Camp grew into the Bradford Hospital for Babies, which joined with Children's Hospital of Texas and Richmond Freeman Memorial Clinic in 1948 to become Children's Medical Center of Dallas.
Today, the Children's system serves patients through two full-service hospitals, a specialty care center in Southlake and a network of primary care offices, called MyChildren’s, located throughout the Metroplex that provide a medical home for patients close to where they live.