Our Heritage

Children's traces its origins to the summer of 1913 when a group of nurses, led by public health nurse May Forster Smith, organized an open-air clinic on the lawn of the old Parkland Hospital. The nurses recognized that children received better care when it was focused only on them.

The Baby Camp and Hospital grew into the Bradford Hospital for Babies, which joined with Children's Hospital of Texas and Richmond Freeman Memorial Clinic in 1947 as part of Children's Medical Center of Dallas.

Today, the Children's system serves patients through two full-service hospitals, a specialty care center in Southlake and a network of primary care offices throughout the Metroplex.