Day Surgery and Presurgical Assessment: Referral Directory
Physician ContactsDesmond B. Henry , M.D.
Edward Prejean , M.D.
- Rebecca Cooner , RN, MS, CPNP - Clinical Manager
- Patricia Crabb , RN, BS - RN Director
- Kim McCarthy , RN, BSN, MS, NE-BC
Description of services:
The Children's pre-assessment program is the oldest pediatric day surgery program in the country, and operates as a nurse practitioner-staffed pre-operative service to support patient/family preparation for surgery procedures. Levels range from straight forward ambulatory, non-complex children as same-day work-ups to complex multi-system affected children who have pre-scheduled appointments for work-ups. Multiple services are represented and as many as 1,000 surgeries are conducted each month.
Procedures performed or problems diagnosed and treated:
- Complete pre-operative history and physical examinations
- Coordination of appropriate laboratory, radiology and other necessary pre-operative testing
- Pre-operative teaching and child life preparations for surgery
- Treatment for acute problems such as antibiotics for otitis media
Information for referral sources:
Day surgery scheduling is facilitated by the surgeon's office. Patient/parent instructions for specific tests or procedures are provided when appointments are scheduled.
Why Children's Medical Center?
- When Children's opened its pediatric day surgery program in 1968, it was the first ever in the nation.
- Patients scheduled for a preoperative clinic visit are seen by a nurse practitioner and anesthesiologist for a history and physical before surgery to assure they are healthy and ready for surgery.
- To help alleviate fear of surgery, child life specialists conduct medical child play therapy with patients before surgery and provide parents and patients an opportunity to ask questions about the surgery.
- The Children's medical staff includes a broad spectrum of pediatric-certified surgeons and anesthesiologists who specialize in caring for children.