Diabetes Education: Referral Directory
Rachel Mark, RN, BSN, CPN
Certified Diabetes Educators
Samantha Bader , RD, LD, CDE
Angie Burris , RN, CDE
Marilyn Cox , MSN, RN, CDE
Kim Jernigan , RN, CDE
Vandana Kumar , RD, LD, CDE
Karen Linder , RN, CDE
Jim Penn , RN, MSN, CDE, FNP
Jamie Wacasey , RN, CDE
Beth Ward , RD, LD, CSP
Bonnie Jenkins , LMSW
Procedures performed or problems diagnosed and treated:
The diabetes education program includes the following classes:
- Continuum of care
- Survival Skills - Available seven days a week, focusing on essential diabetes management skills for children and their parents
- Diabetes 101 - Intensive diabetes management class for newly diagnosed children and their families
- Jump Start - Diabetes management class for patients new to our practice, but not newly diagnosed
- Kid Fit - Diabetes management class for patients with Type 2 diabetes
- Insulin pump management
- Intensive insulin management
- Classes in Spanish available
- Parent support group
Information for referral sources:
Please provide the following when calling to schedule a patient for a diagnostic evaluation:
- Patient name and date of birth
- Probable diagnosis
- Insurance/referral information
- Physician clinical findings or symptoms which caused the patient to visit physician
Why Children's Medical Center?
- Children's Medical Center has ten diabetes educators on staff (eight are certified diabetes educators) who are specially trained to work with pediatric patients.
- The largest endocrinology center in North Texas is located at Children's.
- Our employees and the medical staff use a team approach to diabetes management, drawing on the expertise of the multidisciplinary staff at Children's and UT Southwestern.
- The Children's Diabetes Education Program has been recognized by the American Diabetes Association for its high-quality diabetes self-management program by receiving the American Diabetes Association Education Recognition Certificate.
- The only pediatric diabetes program in the nation to receive disease-specific certification by The Joint Commission.