Feeding Disorders: Referral Directory
Julie Cook, MS, CCC-SLP
Description of services:
A licensed master’s level speech pathologist completes a thorough history and evaluates oral motor function and feeding skills through direct observation and hands-on assessment. A video swallow study is completed if indicated. Results and recommendations are discussed.
Procedures performed or problems diagnosed and treated:
- Feeding/oral motor assessment
- Video swallow study with radiology
Information for referral sources:
- Any child with history of chronic feeding/swallowing problems or history of aspiration.
- A written referral from physician or referral source is required.
- Pre-authorization is required by some insurance plans.
- Patient instructions for specific tests will be provided when the appointment is scheduled.
- Services are provided in close cooperation with the patient’s referring physician.
- Diagnosis, evaluation and recommended treatment information is provided promptly to the referring physician.
Please provide the following when calling to schedule a patient for a diagnostic examination:
- Patient name and date of birth
- Probable diagnosis
- Insurance/referral information
- Physician clinical findings or symptoms which caused the patient to visit physician
Why Children's Medical Center?
- Children’s Speech Pathology department provides comprehensive assessment of feeding disorders.
- Our staff is trained to evaluate feeding disorders using a holistic approach that includes assessment of patients presenting with disorders/delays of oral motor development, sensory integration, behavioral issues and postural control of the head, neck and trunk.
- Treatment options include therapy, a home program and referral to outside facilities if indicated.