Lead Poisoning: Referral Directory
- Miguel Cruz - Referral Coordinator
- Sondra Perry - Practice Administrator
- Vicki Dennis - Interim Director
- Sarah Svoboda, RN - Intake Nurse
Description of services:
- Evaluation of childhood lead poisoning
- Assessment of home environment
Procedures performed or problems diagnosed and treated:
Information for referral sources:
To discuss a case with a physician or to refer a patient for evaluation, please call 214-456-6500 from 8:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. weekdays. When calling after hours or on a weekend, contact the on-call emergency center physician at 214-456-5100.
Please provide the following information when scheduling appointments:
- Referring physician's name, phone number and address
- Patient's name, date of birth and lead level
- Parent's name, home number and alternate number
Important note: Texas Department of Health strongly encourages lead screening for all children at ages 1 and 2 years old. Studies suggest that, even with chelation, the neurodevelopmental issues associated with lead poisoning persist. Primary prevention is still the one recommended treatment plan for lead.
Why Children's Medical Center?
Our staff works closely with area epidemiologists to evaluate home and work environments of caregivers in order to locate the source of lead to the patients, and educates the family about the consequences of lead poisoning and the importance of avoiding the lead source.