The Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) at Children's combines advanced technology with highly trained healthcare professionals to provide comprehensive care for critically-ill newborns. The NICU staff, under the supervision of faculty members from the Division of Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine at UT Southwestern Medical Center, is experienced in caring for a wide-array of neonatal disorders both medical and surgical. Through collaboration with the Children's extensive network of pediatric subspecialists, our NICU is able to provide exceptional care tailored to the specific needs of your child. As the premiere referral NICU in the North Texas area, your child's well-being is our first priority.
- Offers a highly coordinated team of providers including board certified Neonatologists, Advanced Practice Neonatal Nurse Practitioners and Neonatal Medicine fellows, who provide exceptional neonatal care from birth through discharge.
- A new, 36 bed NICU with state-of-the-art equipment and computer systems opened in July 2009.
- More than 300 admissions in 2009 from both local and regional hospitals
- Provides neonatal support to outside obstetricians and maternal fetal medicine specialists through our Fetal-Neonatal Program. This multidisciplinary team, including maternal fetal medicine, neonatology, pediatric surgery, cardiology and other pediatric subspecialists, provides prenatal consults for patients' with diagnoses of fetal anomalies or when a complex postnatal course is anticipated.
- Daily bedside rounds include medical staff, neonatal respiratory therapists, nutritionists, child life specialists, pastoral care and developmental psychiatrists to provide the highest level of family-centered care.
- All neonatologists are faculty at UT Southwestern Medical Center. The Division of Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine has been a participating member in the National Institutes of Health Neonatal Network since its inception in 1986.
- Access to a full range of neonatal therapies, including high frequency and jet ventilation, ECMO, nitric oxide and total body cooling.
- Immediate availability of pediatric subspecialty consultations.
- Full access to radiology services provided by radiologists with neonatal expertise.
- Access to our highly trained transport team dedicated solely to pediatric and neonatal transport.