Occupational Therapy: Referral Directory
- Deborah Smith, Outpatient Team Leader
- Michele Hensley, Outpatient Satellite Team Leader
- Amy Garrow, Inpatient Clinical Manager
- Matt Link, Business Manager
- Morgan Hall, OT, M.B.A. - Director
Description of services:
Occupational therapy provides inpatient and outpatient services for patients with various diagnoses, including neurological, orthopaedic and traumatic disorders. Approaches used include neurodevelopmental, biomechanical and sensory integration. Specialized treatment is available in the area of hand and upper extremity trauma.
Procedures performed or problems diagnosed and treated:
Therapeutic handling using a variety of treatment approaches, including:
- Fine motor delay
- Decreased coordination
- Cerebral palsy
- Brachial plexus injury
- Amputation of upper or lower extremity
- Contracture management
- Self-care difficulties
- Upper extremity injuries
- Congenital anomalies
- Sensory integration/sensory motor deficits
- Upper and lower extremity casting and splinting for neurological, congenital or traumatic injuries
- Visual/motor/perceptual development
- Pediatric neurodevelopmental treatment
- Hydrotherapy and wound care
- Functional Tolerance
- Electrical stimulation
- Thermal modalities
- Joint mobilization
- Adaptive equipment evaluation
- Patient and family education
Information for referral sources:
- Physician orders are required for therapy services.
- Pre-authorization is required by some insurance plans.
Why Children's Medical Center?
- Equipment is specially designed and sized for children.
- The occupational therapy clinic is colorful and visually interesting for children, which encourages them to engage in therapeutic interactions.
- Skilled, experienced OT's are specially trained in evaluating and treating the varied pediatric population.
- Occupational therapists have specialized training in treating children with sensory differences relating to and often affecting daily activities. This training, in many cases, markedly increases the opportunity for success and positive performance in basic home and community activities.