Give Busy Books
For a little patient in a waiting room, boredom can set in quickly. Assemble a “Busy Book” to entertain them as they wait.
1. Coloring/Activity Pages--One of the easiest ways to make these books is by purchasing coloring/activities books, tearing out 4-5 pages and putting them into a packet. You can also print coloring/activity pages from child friendly websites such as http://www.crayola.com/free-coloring-pages/.
2. Yarn or Staples—Please use only one staple in the left corner or a string of yarn to bind the book together.
3. Tape—Use tape to secure the crayons to the books.
4. Crayons-- Attach at least 3 different colored crayons to the busy book.
Busy Book Guidelines
The following guidelines have been created to help you with your project:
1. Make Your Busy Book Generic -- Making a book that is suitable for either a boy or a girl helps us speed the delivery of busy books
2. Avoid Specific Spiritual or Holiday References -- We serve a very diverse patient population. As a result, our patients celebrate several different holidays during the month of December. Many do not celebrate Easter. And some may not be familiar with holidays that are more familiar to citizens of the U.S.
3. Decorate with Crayons, Markers, or Watercolors -- Patients enjoy receiving colorful busy books. However, to avoid choking hazards for our little ones, please do not use glue to add any items to busy books - this includes glitter, feathers, and other seemingly non-hazardous items.
4. Neutral Messages are Best -- We ask that you use neutral messages. Appropriate Messages: Thinking of you, Just want to say Hi! , Sending you sunny smiles, Hope to brighten your day, etc …
To Deliver Items to the Dallas Campus:
To schedule a delivery to the Dallas campus, email Volunteer_services@childrens.com. Items may be delivered Monday to Friday 9 AM to 5 PM.
To Deliver Items To the Legacy Location:
By Mail: Mail to Volunteer Services, 7601 Preston Rd., Plano, TX 75024.
By Car: Deliver Busy Books Monday to Friday 9 AM to 5 PM to Volunteer Services, 7601 Preston Road, Plano, TX 75024. Pull your car into valet parking, let the valet know that you are delivering items and take the items along with a completed donation form (please include the number of hours it took for you to complete the project) to the Concierge’s Desk. The items will then be delivered to the Volunteer Office.