Thank you for your interest in observing a staff member or physician at Children's Medical Center Dallas. Individuals must be at least 16 years old to observe.
Observation opportunities are available to:
- Those who have been referred by a staff member for observing and who are willing to meet a strict set of guidelines. Referred individuals must commit to spending 24 hours of time observing at Children's.
- Those whose schools have contracts with Children's. Contact your school to determine if there is a contract allowing students to observe clinicians at Children's. If your school has a contract with Children's, please contact Children's Human Resources at 214-456-1200
To begin the process of becoming an observer the referring staff member must complete one of the two forms listed:
Form A) General Request for Observer (PDF); or
Form B) Request for Observing in the Operating Room (PDF)
The referring staff member is responsible for obtaining approval from the manager or physician in the area you wish to observe.
Upon receipt of the form by Volunteer Services, the Observer will be sent a packet with additional information that will need to be completed prior to observing:
- Complete a one-page application, a confidentiality form and consent for background check (if 18 or older).
- Provide a copy of immunization records for Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Tetanus/Diphtheria within the last 10 years, Influenza Vaccine and Varicella. Using these records, complete a health form and have it signed by a nurse in Children's Occupational Health Services.
- Complete two rounds of TB testing (at your own expense).
- At Children's, complete an Orientation training module and take a photo for an identification badge.